Debt Help – 6 Ways to Solve Your Debt ProblemsFebruary 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
If you are in desperate need of financial relief, you can opt for any of the debt help options available for the debtor. If you opt for any of the debt relief options, you should first get details on all of the available options and decide to opt for the one best suited for your purpose.
Various debt relief options
The various debt help options available are:
- Self repayment plan – You will have to find out the total number of debts that you have and the outstanding debt amount. If you are facing monetary problems, you can talk to your creditors about the financial hardship you are facing. Request them to agree to a repayment plan so that you are able to continue making the payments. You may have to show proof of your income and expenditures to the creditors.
- Credit and debt counseling – You can also opt for credit and debt counseling to get out of debt. Credit counseling is a type of debt help where the debtor is suggested various kinds of methods by which he can become debt free. In addition to helping you in your debt problems, a credit counselor also educates you to manage your debts more efficiently so that you don’t fall into debt in the future.
- Debt settlement – Debt settlement is the debt help option that lowers the outstanding debt amount. Debt settlement generally lowers the outstanding debt amount by 40-60% thereby making it easier for you to pay off the debts. The remaining debt part is forgiven by the creditor. However, there are some tax consequences of debt settlement. You may have to pay tax on the forgiven part. Another thing about debt settlement is that it hurts your credit score as you will have to miss payments on your cards.
- Debt consolidation – In debt consolidation, the interest rate on your debt is lowered and the several debts that you have gets consolidated into a single consolidated debt. There are again various ways in which you can consolidate your debts. You can either do balance transfer or take out a new consolidation loan to consolidate your debts. Now, you can take out either a secured consolidation loan or an unsecured one whichever you think suits you the best.
- Debt management program – Debt management is the process of paying off your debts through a structured or planned way so that you are able to pay off the debts earlier than usual. If you gp to a debt management company for help, they will enroll you into a debt management program after analyzing your financial situation and preparing a financial budget according to your affordability. He will negotiate this payment plan with all of your creditors.
- Getting help from communities and forums – You may also receive debt help from communities and forums. You may get to sign up for free with such forums and some forums even allow you to earn while posting. Such extra earnings can be used towards paying off your debts. Many finance experts take part in forum discussions and can easily help you in solving your debt problems.
However, there are many debtors who are left with bankruptcy as the only alternative to get out of debt. But you should try to take control of the situation much before it spirals out of your control so that you need to file bankruptcy.